Wednesday, October 24, 2007

NYC/ Queens/ Long Island Tour #2

Mom's gravesite, near Riverhead, Long Island.

Not sure why she doesn't get her last name on the marker, although it's a Military cemetery (my Dad served in the Navy) so maybe that's why. It's a pretty damned depressing marker, in my humble opinion. I guess that's the Military for you.

My parents are buried miles and miles away from each other-- kind of symbolic of their marriage. My stepmother entered the picture after Mom died and had no interest in having my father buried all the way out in Riverhead, so they chose a Jewish cemetery closer to Queens.

My stepmother was kind enough to drive me to visit both cemeteries on the only rainy day of my visit (the weather was very appropriate for this: gloomy).

I think I want my ashes scattered at sea.

Labels: , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robbie said...

:::Squirming excitedly for your pictures:::

6:35 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

It was nice of your stepmother to drive you, indeed. Sorry your mom's stone is missing a last name, that doesn't look right, does it? I'm with you, no going 'into a box' for me, either. :shudders:

So happy that you are home again in your own bed. Your kitties must have missed you! (still have both kitties??)

love.

10:06 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

It sounds like you enjoyed your visit. It's a weird feeling going "home", you feel like you belong, and don't at the same time. At least I do.

It's nice that you visited both gravesites. That's not something I find easy to do when I'm in my hometown. I let years go by....but I feel bad about it.

2:21 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home