Saturday, November 29, 2008

Blechh Friday & Saturday

Hope all y'all had a nice Turkey Day on Thursday! I enjoyed the afternoon at a friend's pot luck gathering, but all the while, in between bites of deliciousness, I was facing the impending doom of a 4:30 am start-time at my place of employment on Black Friday. And it was even more hellish than expected, although the store did extremely well business-wise. Everyone who had not shopped all during October and early November came out in a mad rush on Friday, looking for slashed prices-- and finding them. It was ugly! It was insanely crowded! I wanted to go home!

I am grateful at least that I was not TRAMPLED TO DEATH like that poor Wal-Mart employee in NY. (I know that area; it's a pretty dicey neighborhood these days... my Mom used to take me to Green Acres Mall when I was a little boy).

Anyway, my heart goes out to that poor man's friends and family. What a way to go.

Were any of my (7?) faithful readers out at a department store at 5:00 am on Friday? C'mon, 'fess up! If so, we need to talk!

Labels: ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Sydney said...

Faithful reader #1 says:

Guess however evolved we think we're becoming, what does it say about us that the almighty race for objects was worth more than the life of that poor guy?

Heard two women got into a fight at Toys R Us somewhere in CA and one of their husband's took out a gun and shot someone too.

But, at least you got through your day with narry a scratch to tell the tale of a good day at your shop. 27 more days...

10:12 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

Unfaithful reader #1 says:

I wish I could be counted amongst the seven but I barely am faithful to my own blog. How could I be more faithful to someone else's?

;-)

I went to Costco later in the day and it wasn't too bad but I did pass a mall along the way and there was a line of cars to get into it but the entrance for that mall sucks and is easily backed up. There are only two entrances to the entire mall, that I am aware of, and one is right by Macy's where people are crossing from a parking lot to go into and out of the store.

Anywho...Happy Holidays friend!

Bah-humbug! I say be the scrooge of your place of employment and dish the dirt on the blog. :-D

11:29 AM  
Blogger Wil said...

Having worked retail in the Mall, you have my sincere sympathy and understanding of all things Anti-Black Friday. After barely surviving my last experience, I swore "Never Again."

So far, so good. This year I slept in until 11 on Friday and haven't gone to town all weekend. The corner store a mile and a half away sufficed for emergency runs for the wife's cigarettes and Diet Coke.

Being flat broke does have its advantages.

9:03 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

I did not shop on Black Friday, rather I filled my lesser known blog called Looky Here with gift ideas, and am still posting on that topic. That was my contribution to trying to keep people at home, alive and safe, and ordering from the internet...

But if everyone did so, retail folks would be in need of a new job, so as usual, balance is the answer, tra la la.

3:02 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

No butt-crack of dawn shopping for me, don't care how cheap the crock pots are!!

I did, however, take advantage of Cyber Monday!! I purchased upteen-billion LEGO sets and for my efforts, received $10.00 off AND free shipping!! Woo-HOO!!!

SO glad you weren't trampled. That was horrible. Love & sparkles, Phin

1:53 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home