Friday, October 27, 2006

Painting 101-- Swiss Guard Self-Portrait

A sweet classmate in my painting class (talented painter too!), Mim, took this photo of me yesterday with a semi-completed painting of mine.

It's based on my Swiss Guard costume in the opera "Tosca". I was trying to paint it in the style of Rembrandt. Hey, why not take on an interesting challenge? Maybe I'll do a copy of the Sistine Chapel next...

Technically, I'm getting better, in that the paint is not flying all over the place quite as much when I try to apply it to the canvas-- but it is still very much a learning experience each time I go to class. Ahh, I guess that's why it's called "class!" Duh!

Ultimately, I don't know if I want to paint realistically or not. My own drawings are still tending toward the abstract. I showed some of them to my teacher and he suggested that my next painting be based on one of them.

6 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

I LOVE it! I remember that costume. I'll anxiously await the Sistine copy. Hope you're well, Albert!

2:23 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

You're going the right direction if your getting most of your paint on the canvas. ;)

It looks fabulous Albert. I am a little surprised to see you doing something so realistic. I've found a lot of your abstract work that you've posted here fascinating. I hope you take your instructor advice....I can't wait to see your next effort.

2:50 AM  
Blogger Morgan Fox Studio said...

hi albert,

i know... long time since i've been here. sorry sweety... havent been on line much.

anyway.... LOVE the painting!!!! you do such great work. wish i had half your talent. maybe i need to paint those endless color charts, LOL. j/k - sorry, couldn't resist :)

talk to ya soon hon and have a happy halloween :)

hugs
star

3:20 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I am very impressed. I knew you had talent but this is impressive!
Kudos! Hope all is going well in your new apartment. :) Hugs.

8:20 AM  
Blogger Magogo's Musings, too said...

really glad to see you painting. margo

4:44 PM  
Blogger Remo said...

I think it looks fantastic. Please keep working with your talents. It would be a shame to waste your visions.

8:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home