Sunday, September 17, 2006

Impressionism Madness

When I went out as Madame G. on Wednesday, I rode the #5 Fulton to the Tenderloin. On the way, these two tourist ladies got on the bus near the new de Young Museum and started chatting me up; one of them (who must not have been wearing her glasses!) thought at first that I was Dame Edna, slumming it on the bus. RealityCheck Michael, who does a serious Dame Edna impersonation for pay, would not have been amused!

Anyway, another woman, who had sat down next to me, turned out to be a staff curatorial person at the de Young-- she responded to the conversation I was having with the tourist ladies by unexpectedly handing me two VIP tickets to see this exhibit "Monet in Normandy" which is showing at the Legion of Honor for one last weekend. Madame Glinka was happy!

So I hauled my butt to see the show on Friday, knowing the crowds would be difficult. The painting above was one of my favorites in the show-- it reminds me of the views from Sutro Heights, right above my apartment building. The original is obviously prettier than this little .jpg, though if you can imagine thousands of little sparkling colors in the brushstokes, you'll get the *impression*.

I had to fight the hordes of people to see the paintings, I was always either blocking someone's view or having my view blocked by someone else. Stressful! These big crowded Impressionism shows-- I'm not sure if they are worth the trouble. But I did get to see some lovely colors and brushstrokes, which hopefully will inspire my new oil-painting experiences.

2 Comments:

Blogger Nelle said...

I love the Impressionists. I have a Monet poster framed that I love.

12:45 PM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

The major problem I had with the show, besides the stupid crowds, was the fact that they were all lovely shoreline pictures but the views around the Legion of Honor museum are the same thing, only they're The Real Thing and even more beautiful.

9:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home