Tuesday, July 31, 2007

Turning Pro

The accompanying graphic has nothing whatsoever with the main subject of this entry. I just wanted to share with all my faithful blog-readers a frozen entree I have been enjoying on a regular basis lately! :-)

What I really want to talk about is my latest determination to focus way more seriously on my visual art, which I have been dabbling in only semi-seriously for the past year, after so many years of hardly focusing on it at all.

I'm currently reading this wonderful book by the author Steven Pressfield (one of his other books is "The Legend of Bagger Vance" ) called "The War of Art." He writes about the difference between the professional and amateur level of artist, entrepreneur, anyone working on a diet/exercise plan, social/political activist, anyone working on a Recovery or Spirituality program, educational degree, or anyone working on any other long-term goal, commitment or relationship. So that list would include all humans!

The difference between the professional and the amateur is this:

Professionals work at it every day. Pros do not take the day off if they are tired or have the flu or don't feel like it.

Pros do the work.

Amateurs, on the other hand, dream about doing the work, fantasize about it, have grandiose ideas about it, while staying utterly fearful and resistant to actually DOING anything about it.

SO, as of today: I'm turning Pro. I'm going to work on some artwork for two hours beginning at 9 am sharp. No interruptions. Two hours to start with. As opposed to zero hours, or 15 minutes-- the schedule I have been keeping. I'm not going to worry about trying to sell my artwork, I'm just going to worry about doing the work itself.

I'll let you know how it goes. :-O!!!

I'm not sure where blogging fits into this. I'm not sure where supering at the Opera fits into this. More Shall Be Revealed.

UPDATE
: I did it! Yay! Results tomorrow on my Art Blog.

Labels: ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Robbie said...

Wow! I picked up that very book this past weekend and put it back down because I thought it was beyond me. I guess I truly am an amateur. One of the reasons I took an art class was to force me to make time for it. My painting class fell through though. Bummer! Lack of interest I was told. In LA? Double bummer!

Good luck and go for it! You ARE an arteest!

5:51 AM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

I feel that way about my blog "Civic Center," actually. It's a job, and though I'm not getting paid for it, I treat it as a serious vocation and sometimes hate it when I'm getting paid to create corporate propaganda for money when all I want to do is get back to my "real work." Glad you understood the only important point of your self-help book, which is, "get to work, and forget the rest."

8:36 PM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

Oh, one more thing. It's not an either/or with the stage/supernumerary/extra shit. All of that is just seasoning for your own art. And there endeth the lesson.

8:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home