Saturday, January 07, 2006

A Little George Eliot
~and~
Comment of the Week

From "Romola," the historical novel I've been trying to get through for the past four months (I'm only on page 181), this paragraph is referring to the novel's anti-hero, Tito:

"Under every guilty secret there is hidden a brood of guilty wishes, whose unwholesome infecting life is cherished by the darkness. The contaminating effect of deeds often lies less in the commission than in the consequent adjustment of our desires - the enlistment of our self-interest on the side of falsity; as, on the other hand, the purifying influence of public confession springs from the fact, that by it the hope in lies is for ever swept away, and the soul recovers the noble attitude of simplicity."

I can relate!

And on a lighter note: Gigi of LotusMartinis left me this ROFL-worthy comment in response to Madame G.'s cutting-edge makeup advice:

BTW ~ I accidentally took Madame's beauty advice last night ~ "ALWAYS apply your lip liner at least 1/2 inch outside your natural lip-area..." The martinis were flowing, the lighting was bad, and I looked like Meg Ryan at the Oscars, right after the injections... :)

Thanks for the laugh, Gigi!

3 Comments:

Blogger Bon & Mal Mott said...

I tried the lip-liner thing with Chapstick, and now food keeps sliding away from my mouth. Damn!

12:30 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

Now I'm thinking that I need to COMBINE the advice of Mdm. G and Gigi's personal experience: for fuller lips apply the liner 1/2 inch while consuming some drink with copious amounts of vodka! Yea! I can do that. :) My drink of the month has been Cosmos. The fact that they're pink is a bonus. :)

7:33 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

HA! No, thank you! You've been making me laugh for so long, and I've been dishonorably lurking. Keep those beauty tips coming ~ I'm going out again Friday night, and am learning the joys of false eyelashes. Last week I glued my eye shut.

That book sounds like quite a page turner. ;)

3:47 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home