Wednesday, January 25, 2006

Artsy Dell'Arte

I'm now looking into this school: The Dell'Arte International School of Physical Theater, in Blue Lake, CA, which is a 6 hour drive from 'Frisco north up the coast. Beautiful redwood country; small logging town in the middle of nowhere. I must be insane! Anyway, I've known about this school for awhile... there aren't too many places that teach this stuff.

They have a one year Professional Training Program and a two-and-a-half year M.F.A. program. And then you graduate and are a highly skilled and still potentially unemployable Physical Theater Artist. More credibility to teach, at least-- with the M.F.A. anyway. And with a lot less $$$ in your savings account. But their graduates seem to be very serious about having a career in Theater, and there are links on the site to people who are involved with their own companies, or circuses, or puppet troupes all over the country.

It's ironic-- because over at San Francisco Opera they'll be doing a revival of "Rigoletto" this Fall, and I could just FAKE being a commedia dell'arte clown, which I've done twice already. But at this school, I'd get training to do it for real.

Can a 47-year old Gay Guy survive and thrive in this environment?

I DON'T KNOW!!!!!!!!!

They're holding an audition/orientation week in February, for admission next October.

Whadd'ya think, my peeps???

6 Comments:

Blogger Becky said...

It sounds like a fun and interesting experience! Too bad it's so far away. Would you move there?

10:22 AM  
Blogger Cynthia said...

My gut instinct is Go for it! the only drawback that I see is the distance. (By the way, I know I haven't commented much, but I read every time you post.)

11:46 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

Can you audition without making a commitment. Since you don't drive is there public transportation near the school? My Godfather's daughter graduated with a bachelor's in drama and was so angry that she couldn't get a job based on that. She is in St. Louis and just enrolled in grad school for psych which she plans to combine with the drama. Ever thought of something like that? Could be interesting.

2:09 PM  
Blogger Morgan Fox Studio said...

Hey Albert,

If this is something close to your heart at least go check out the program. Your only drawback would be you'd probably have to live up there temporarily. Can you sublet your apt.? There are a few obstacles but whenever something is worth pursuing there are always little obstacles...kind of like tests to see if you really want it bad enough, LOL.

You really can't make decisions unless you check it out first. You may find it's not for you and then you don't have to worry.

Go for the audition Albert, otherwise you'll be kicking yourself with "what if's" and "could I's". Good luck :)

hugs,
star

1:49 AM  
Blogger Coy said...

I love reading about all of these educational considerations ... hoping that you will just pick one soon.
I'm sure you'll do great no matter what path you decide to take Alb.
*** Coy ***

8:06 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I say what I always say ~ Carpe diem, baby!

As long as it doesn't obligate you to audition, why not go ahead and check it out if you're so inclined? I think you'd have to experience something like this in situ to know if it's right for you or not. Then weigh the pros and cons in terms of both personal (self-fufillment) and professional (potential employment, finances) goals, and you'll know what to do. :)

4:07 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home