Monday, January 09, 2006

January Sunset

The ocean is mere yards away from my front door; in fact, if I want to, I can now climb out of one of my windows directly onto the fire-escape for a killer view of it. But, as is the case with many things of value that are right under our noses, I don't take advantage of my proximity to this most beautiful piece of Nature as often as I should. I know it sounds crazy, but sometimes I kind of forget that it's there, and other times I just don't have the energy to deal with its magnitude.

Last night I really needed it though. I needed a major attitude adjustment. It was gorgeous down there, crisp with January San Francisco crispness. There were the usual happy, happy couples, families, joggers and doggies. At least they seem happy. Well, the doggies are DEFINITELY happy! An idea I had last night was that the beach seems to self-select for happy people a lot of the time, at least at sunset. Sometimes I don't have the energy for that either. You do see some solitary people down there, alone with their thoughts (like moi), and there's the random "beach bum" type lurking around here and there too. I have to admit that in my highly unscientific demographic study last night, the major population represented seemed to be *happy*, heterosexual, white people. Just a personal observation, haven't begun my PhD dissertation yet!

Be that as it may, it was truly a tonic to be down there last night. Much better than a Gin & Tonic! (I don't want to have any serious Gin-Induced lip-liner accidents, lol!).

I really should go down there more often.

7 Comments:

Blogger Civic Center said...

Nice pic. If you need an excuse to go to the beach across the street, just make a point of taking one picture a day over there. For a year. Then publish the thing on Flickr or somewhere else. I think it would be fascinating.

2:42 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

How I wish I could get to the beach regularly. I love to stand in the surf or just walk at the water's edge. Darn, now I'm suffering from a serious case of wanderlust.

5:35 PM  
Blogger Carly said...

Hi Albert

You should come with us sometime when we are chasing those Bay Area sunsets. Bring the camera along and enjoy it with us. I haven't been out recently, but I am going to have to get up to Twin Peaks soon. Trouble is I can't decide if I want A sunris or sunset shot. Both if them in the Bay Area in winter can be an amazing sight. :) Smile dear one!

Always, Carly :)

2:28 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

How beautiful. I think one of the most beautiful sunsets I ever saw was when we were standing looking at the ocean in Newport Rhode Island. It was a gorgeous August night and we were attending Rob's cousins wedding. This would have been the most romantic night for a proposal....but he waited until the following February in my kitchen. LOL LOL LOL Glad to see you are enjoying the view!

1:50 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

Oh, go for me, please! I would give anything to live so close to the beach.

My hypothosis about your happy-people-only-on-the-beach self-selection theory is that it's probably true, if only because it's impossible to be truly miserable at the ocean. Even we solitary strollers, no matter how wretched we start out, always feel better breathing in that ocean air. Something about negative ions; it's healing. As you say; tonic!

3:39 PM  
Blogger Morgan Fox Studio said...

hi Albert,

The ocean has a healing quality like no other. i found myself down by the ocean yesterday as well. the office bldg. i was in is right across the street. so, when i was walking to my car i made myself walk right past it and go down to the water. well...it's not like the west coast ocean...here, its a little grayer, but beautiful none the less. i also noticed that some people i'd seen "inside" were now "outside" doing the exact same as me....enjoying some out of season warm with a beautiful ocean view. very cathartic (i think i spelled that right, lol). anyway...i feel its much better to stop and smell the ocean than to stop and smell the roses :)
remember to enjoy it more often.

hugs,
star

5:24 AM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

Hey, dude, are you alright?

2:37 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home