Friday, January 13, 2006

Cross-Addicted!
~and~
Albert Explores His Kareer Opshuns


First, a news update: they apprehended a suspect in that Starbucks Bathroom Bomb incident. The alleged *Starbomber* was recorded by a hidden security camera in the store. The short news article I read the next day didn't reveal any motive for the crime; the guy just seemed to be your average garden-variety urban crazy person. So at least I'm off the hook! Pshew!

This Verizon Camera-Phone pic was taken at Stonestown Mall. The tables in their Food Court are all currently embedded with this "American Idol" poster. I'm not sure why, but I think this is the sharpest Verizon Camera-Phone pic I've ever taken. Disclaimer: No home-made bombs were left during this Starbucks moment.

Coupla things: "Project Runway" is the best show currently on TV, so thanks to the commenters who mentioned it. I see the episodes a few days late because a friend tapes them for me (still too thrifty for cable), so no one give away anything that happens, 'kay?

A special shout-out to San Francisco Kat-- a funny and flexible "Forza" Flagellant who I met last Fall... thanks for your comment! :-)

Kareer Korner: I've been looking into classes, workshops and even degree programs where I can investigate and experiment with ideas of Drag/ Queer Theater/ Performance Art. I really feel like I need some place where I can put my ideas out there and get feedback and support for them in a more structured way than what I've been doing up 'til now. There's this very trippy Masters Program at New College here, a VERY left-leaning, wheatgrass and protest signs institution-- it's part of a recently-formed Experimental Performance Institute. Click on the link if you're curious!

You can pay a million dollars to go there and get an M.F.A. in Experimental Performance, with a Queer or Activist Emphasis, and then graduate and still be totally poor with zero marketable skills, but at least you have more credibility as an artist, hopefully a few connections in the Art/Theater world, and more of a chance for grants, teaching opportunities, etc. I'm not sure if this is at all what I want to do or not, in fact, I have a feeling that I DON'T want to spend all that money-- but it's interesting to even be exploring it. They're having an audition next Thursday and I'm debating whether or not to go... I've already rescheduled therapy so I can, if I want to.

This is what I might expect to learn there: We will search, as Tony Kushner calls it, for the “fabulous”, the “assertively Camp camp, the rapturous embrace of difference, the discovering of self not in that which has rejected you but in that which makes you unlike, disliked, and Other.”

Part of me thinks I could already TEACH this stuff. Hmmm...

6 Comments:

Blogger TJ said...

The two essays for 500 words ech sounds easy enough. It did appear it would require a lot of time for the semesters..but look at the creative experience. Go for it..if you can. There is always room for personal growth..you gto the right stuff. ( may need to spiff up daily attire to play part of theater student, they seem to have lots of hats)

10:39 AM  
Blogger Gigi said...

I say go to the audition ~ what have you got to lose? It doesn't obligate you in any way, and the experience might be a good indicator of how much value these courses would have for you, and you can take your direction from there.

Re: Project Runway ~ my lips are sealed. (You already knew Nikki Hilton had exquisite taste, right? I mean, didn't we all............? ;)

2:12 PM  
Blogger Miss Vincci said...

Good luck with the class thingy...sounds tough and confusing...

Gosh does everyone watch Project Runway except for me???

8:14 PM  
Blogger Coy said...

Yes I agree, you could probably teach the class but you wont so .... I say, go for the audition (push yourself if you have to). You've already cleared your schedule for it.
You can decide afterwards whether or not to invest your million dollars into the project or not.
Wouldn't it feel great to know you have the option?
Missing my daily dose of glitter.
Love ya Alb.
*** Coy ***

12:26 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

You know you might very well qualify to teach drama at a h.s. night school community class type gig. I think you should go for the audition. I think your coffee places there are more hip than ours. We now have a new one by work though that sells coffee and gelatto. Interesting combo. Have a great weekend! Kitty hugs.

1:53 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

Go to the audition. It might clear the view a little bit. At the very least, you should get a great blog entry out of it!

3:03 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home