Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Very Sequin-ny Valentine's Day!

Yesterday was pretty awesome, all things considered. I decided not to care that I'm Tragically Single, and focus instead on all the positives in my life all day.

So I was cheerfully going about my day, and I went out in search of a chair, 'cause I'm having some company over tomorrow night and I could use one more chair in my new butch/ eclectic/ post-moderne Bachelor Pad...

First I went to this one creepy thrift store in my neighborhood and they had nothing; everything for sale in there seems like someone died while wearing it or sitting on it.

Then I went into this other store called "Muzzy's Attic;" a gaggy name, and they're on the overpriced side, so I usually don't go in there. I browsed around and didn't see any chairs I liked and/or could afford, but then I saw a cool old brush and hand-mirror set that I thought would be great as props for Madame G. When the store-owner "Sam," a very attractive young woman, asked me who I was buying them for, I told her they were for my drag character. Then she went over to an armoir in the back and proceeded to pull out this hideously ugly/beautiful robe/gown thing made of pearlescent sequins and this strange chenille trim, shaped into gigantic ugly flowers with seed pearls inside the petals, in an oriental-style dress design. Oy, oy, oy!

She said that she'd had it out for a long time but hadn't found a buyer, and she knew that it had to go to someone like me. But we're talking the "Outer Avenues" here, not the Castro, so someone *like me* doesn't come along that often!

My peeps: she gave it to me for free!

Granted, she probably never could have found someone to actually buy it, because it's such a bizarre garment, but it's very cool and perfect for the bizarre Madame Glinka. She thought it'd be good karma to give it to me, and it will be, because now I'm going to recommend her shop to every Queen I encounter.

I think I have to put an ensemble together with this piece as sort of an overcoat, with a chiffony gown or pantsuit underneath.

So that was my ultra-romantic Valentine's day!!!!

:-) :-) :-) Wooo-Hoooooo!

13 Comments:

Blogger Wil said...

Very cool of her. Now reward her good behavior and your readers with a picture of Madame Glinka dressed in it!

Happy Belated Valentine's Day, Albert.
You old queen, you. There's someone out there for you ... it's all in finding him.

wil
The Daily Snooze

1:50 PM  
Blogger jennifer said...

What Wil said. We want photos. That was such a sweet VD gesture from "Sam." I got exactly what I asked for: half-priced chocolates today!!!

2:23 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Now I want one.

Love you!!

9:02 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Eh, not a valentine....

a sequiny dress-thingie.

9:03 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

what a find and free! How cool is that? So I will remember the recommendation.
Can't wait to see Madame G wearing it.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

oh what a find and Sam is now adored by people near and far. It will be gorgeous on Madame G.

12:50 PM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I love that this happened to you. It was karma. Happy belated Valentines Day. smooches

4:36 PM  
Blogger Morgan Fox Studio said...

now you have to model it for us albert!!

make sure to pass the favor along with lots of referals. karma can be cool :)

glad your day wasn't totally horrible.

hugs,
star

7:25 PM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

Now you need to wear it to the "Mime" audition for "Joan of Arc" at the opera in March. You are now officially a Movement Queen, after all, and I think the lucky outfit may just give you that extra edge.

Speaking of auditions, I did end up being an extra in the Ping golf commercial and it evolved into a charming afternoon in Golden Gate Park's Speedway Meadows hanging out and being beautiful. Like you.

10:45 PM  
Blogger Gigi said...

God, I love people who get the concept of karma. Sam is so totally cool. Now you've both got good karma.

Valentine's Day was just made for pink pearly sequins. And there is no such thing as 'tragically single,' there is only 'romantically available'...and inclined. :)

2:21 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

That was very nice of her to do. :)
http://journals.aol.com/sugar1337/Disobeyingtherulesofconvention/

3:31 PM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

How sweet!! I'm sure Madam G is going to look fabulously sparkly in that little number. We want pics!!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Miss Vincci said...

Wow..that's cool..AND very PINK and SHINY!!! Wear it and take a pic please!!!

6:06 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home