Sunday, December 21, 2008





















Art and RE:Ality (TV and Other Stuff)

Here's my latest masterpiece (sorry no scratch and sniff, Remo!). The instructor had the same model sit with the same pose for four class sessions, which was a great opportunity to do a more finished piece.

This painting was completed in three sessions, so about eight hours total. I prepared a canvas with a pinkish ground, and then painted the figure with whatever colors struck my fancy. Fauvism is the genre that is most like this. I wasn't a slave to correct proportions, although my one self-criticism is that it's not far enough removed, like let's say a Modigliani, yet not completely anatomically correct either. This is partly because I just don't paint from RE:Ality very often these days, and figure painting is one of the hardest technical challenges there is in art.

I really enjoyed painting from the model this semester!

My friends who I've shown my lastest work to are all encouraging me to aim for having a show in 2009. I definitely have enough work, it's just a matter of where and how. I have a lot of trouble with self-promotion in my offline life. BELIEVE IT OR NOT! Fear of rejection. Ugh! But I definitely feel like it's time. Even if it's in a little cafe somewhere.

Onto RE:Ality TV: "Momma's Boys," NBC, Monday night. Be there! It's sick and awesome. I'm not sure if it's politically correct to stick a racist, bigoted, anti-semetic, ignorant, hypocritcal Momma into a house with a bunch of demographically diverse and randomly silicone-enhanced bachelorettes, but it definitely makes for great TV.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger Sydney said...

well, if the show has your seal of approval, I will give it a look. I was going to ignore it and try to -- gasp -- read!

I totally encourage you to have a show!!!! No time like the present. I would love to be there too!

xoxox

9:49 PM  
Blogger Remo said...

Quite seriously, that is some quality work and I heartily encourage you to find the time (and courage) to stage an offering. It might give me a reason to finally pawn the rest of STBE's shit and take a flight to SFO.
Is the world ready for both of us in one place at the same time?? LOL

4:54 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home