Monday, March 06, 2006

It's getting hard out here for a Glink.

Not sure if I still have any readers out there in Blogland... anyway, hi, all y'all if anyone is still checking in here.

So what did you all think of the Oscars last night? I was pretty upset that Brokeback didn't win, though Crash was an excellent film. I actually got a free DVD in the mail of Crash because I'm a fabulously influential member of the Screen Actors Guild (SAG for short, in case you just crawled out from under some rock!) and they sent DVDs of the film out to all SAG members while voting was in progress for the SAG Awards. Do you think that this kind of campaign may have swung some votes in that direction?????

This morning I was over it, and thought that gains and recognition for any minority are a good thing for all minorities. So the time will come when a gay romantic film or openly gay or lesbian actor is finally recognized by the Academy. Let's face it: if you wait around for Hollywood to give you some sense of identity or self-esteem, you can be waiting a very long time. (Geez, have I finally learned my lesson here?!?)

On a much more positive note, I FINALLY had Confluence with an AOL-J pal, the sweet, lovely and disarmingly funny Anne, Ksquester, of Saturdays Child. We met at Nordstrom's downtown and had lunch and shopped and snacked at other girly-girl places too! We tried to do all the kinds of things that she would have done if she had been in town with JudithHeartsong. ;-)

I am wicked. Just teasin', Judi!

Anne spent what seemed like the greater part of our visit trying to convince me that I must see Kansas before I die. I asked her if there was Opera in Kansas and she assured me that indeed there was. I still have to Google that, because I'm not so sure I believe her.

I know that Dorothy comes from Kansas so it can't be all bad, but she tried to fly away from there via swirling tornado house for the much more fascinating Land of Oz, even if that ended up not working out so well for her either.

Getting back to Moi, the most fun part of our visit was when I wrestled Anne to the ground and forced her to don my Glinka Mask:

8 Comments:

Blogger Nicole said...

I thought both Crash and Brokeback were great movies...but I was kinda hoping Broke back would win myself.

7:52 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

Awww..I'm glad you met Anne but I'm still sorry I wasn't your first.
:)

At least you didn't run off down the coast with HER!!

(Love you Anne!!!!)

8:44 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

Love the picture of Anne Albert... you crack me up. I am so glad you two got to meet, it is wonderful to finally get to spend time with people you have known virtually.

Let's do the Castro!

10:20 AM  
Blogger Becky said...

Neat! And dammit! I missed my chance to be your first. Love that photo! LOL

12:33 PM  
Blogger Happy Hiker said...

Dorthy ~ Kansas

Judy Garland ~ Grand Rapids, Minnesota

A pair of her ruby slippers were just stolen from a musuem last summer.

10:12 AM  
Blogger Morgan Fox Studio said...

I had no idea you had a Glinka mask Albert. You could make a million buckaroos selling the mask!!! There ya go... answer to your financial woes :)

btw: LOVE IT!!

Patti

3:52 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I have not seen the film yet but the day after the Oscars a large conversation took place where I work. These ultra conservatives began a conversation about gay cowboys. All I can say is that I hoped I (and an Asian woman from L.A. I work with) enlightened them. They found it shocking what we had to say but I always think every open mind has to begin somewhere. I have Ann envy. Haven't been to Nordstroms in forever! I'm still here and still reading but sometimes I'm too tired to leave a comment! OX

4:20 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

i'm still here too. i just am out of glitter so i haven't been sprinkling any for you. so sorry.

love, me.

7:43 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home