Tuesday, March 28, 2006

ZEN and the Art of Trying to Avoid Pesky Auditions

A few years ago, I "performed" in this weird-azz production called "Daughter of the Floods;" this was way before I started blogging, or else y'all would have heard EVERY DETAIL OF THE DRAMA.

I played DEATH. Oy Oy Oy.

It was based on Tarot Card symbolism, so Death was kind of more like Transformation, which meant a lot of going on and offstage a bunch of times looking spooky.

NOT the glittery showcase of my many talents that I would have hoped for.

Anyway, there were about 18 of us in the cast including some very talented, serious actors, many of whom were students at the American Conservatory Theatre (A.C.T.) Masters Program, which is the hoitsy-toitsy theater school in 'Frisco.

ANYWAYS...

So a coupla weeks ago, I received an email from one of these lovely young women, who is now involved with a Fringe-y theater company called The Boxcar Theatre. The Artistic Director of this company is putting together a show called "Zen" and he has a pretty hi-profile theater, The Magic Theater, lined up to perform it in this July. He's also going to put on some free performances of it on Baker Beach here in town.

This guy actually WANTS to meet me, based on what my old performing buddy Sarah is telling him. I had gone ahead and set up an audition for last night, but then had chickened out, and then I get an email from him this morning saying he still wants to give me another chance to audition.

Here's a description off their website:

The show Zen is an ensemble-based and ensemble-created production about life, happiness, fulfillment, the lack thereof, and all of the things in between. We are looking for very special open minded and diverse individuals to make this happen. Ensemble members must be able to bring themselves to the table. The show will be created from the input and creative energy brought to the production by the selected ensemble.

I'm now going to audition tomorrow night. I have to come up with some autobiographical short monologue.

I'm bringing Glinka.

OY OY OY!!!!!!!!!!

5 Comments:

Blogger Gigi said...

Why did you chicken out, I wonder? By all means, bring yourself and Glinka to the table ~ they sound like an interesting and creative group. Good luck!

2:53 PM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

Do NOT chicken out. I actually went to the Opera "Joan of Arc" Mime auditions which you also chickened out on, and though I was late and was frankly terrible in the rather complex movement routines we were given to perform, it turned out to be not bad at all. The choreographer at the Opera (whose name I'm blanking out on) was kind, considerate, made sure there was applause when anybody did anything halfway good, and the audition actually related to what one was supposed to be doing onstage (bowing to a king, fighting a battle with a sword, and so on).

Anyway, I came out of it feeling proud I didn't chicken out, and even stayed behind to tell our auditioner that he'd been really cool. I hope your experience is similar, no matter if you get the part or not.

4:49 PM  
Blogger Robbie said...

Girlfriend! You better get steppin' that looks awesome. Now, I'm freakin out because I think you asked me about fringe theater here in L.A. and I'm wondering if that was before this stepped into your life. If so, I freakin' kismet dude! :-)

10:09 PM  
Blogger Becky said...

Sounds like an opportunity with a butt-load of potential. Go for it! (By the way... I think Reality TV misses it's biggest fan. ANTM's latest runway show? Modeling the spring collection of an ecclectic designer. He called the collection "Glinka". I kid you not.)

7:30 AM  
Blogger Cindy said...

OY! OMG OMG OMG how did it go????? tell me you went!!

i will check back in later...

oodles of spring-kles of glitter

phinney xo

8:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home