Friday, December 09, 2005

The P.C. Police Bite Me in the Butt

Night before last, I got a call from the contact person who hired me to play the Old Asian Wise Man, telling me that they've decided to get an actual Asian person to portray the character. "In a city full of Asians, we need to have an Asian person in this role."

I'd had this exact thought the very first time I'd talked with her, but had kept my mouth shut. Although, after having seen numerous "Madame Butterflys," I know that anyone can be made up to look theatrically Asian... but this wasn't the direction they wanted to go in.

More irksome to me is that they are going to have this Asian person wear the costume that I researched, chose and put on reserve for myself.

The event-planner lady offered me the option of still working the party and standing in this one spot helping people solve the treasure-hunt puzzle. "Being the *go-to* person for help with the clues." She sent me an email with details of the puzzle.

Reading it gave me a sick headache.

I would mock it further here, but I'm trying not to sit in my resentment! Anyway, after sleeping on it, I called her back yesterday morning and declined. So, I'm done. They're going to pay me part of my fee for finding the costume. I learned a lot from this experience and think I handled myself professionally. I'm not sure if I made the right decision about not working the party, but I'm just not into it. I was very into pulling this whole look together and performing in it, and when that was taken away, I did not want to proceed any further.

Blame it on my Artistic Temperment.

8 Comments:

Blogger jennifer said...

I would have taken a pass too. Geesh. That sucks, Albert. What has happened to the notion of keeping one's word?

10:44 AM  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

Jennifer:

Not in Show Biz. Shit like this happens ALL THE TIME.

--AlbGlinka

3:18 PM  
Blogger Bon & Mal Mott said...

Hey, you know what else bites the rod? Bumming out two old hippies.
Bon & Mal

4:44 PM  
Blogger Civic Center said...

Dear Albert: I think you made the [sectarian, non-racial] wise decision. If you'd done the party, that would have meant that both you and Charlie Lichtman, two ex-New York Jews who I happen to know, would have been running around in faux Chinese drag in San Francisco on the same night. That would have been too weird.

Charlie's in "Le Rossignol" at the Symphony but at least it's a Stravinsky/Hans Christian Andersen piece from the 1920s so the phony Orientalia can be tolerated. But Lucas and his party planners should know better than to be so old-fashioned racist.

Of course, the "Indiana Jones" movies were pretty terrible in that regard too. Wise choice, Glinkacius.

6:19 PM  
Blogger Nicole said...

Sorry they passed you up....

2:28 AM  
Blogger Sie said...

And they were worried about the eyebrows being too 'asian'... lol. You had to do what you felt best... I know you're disappointed. It's too bad you couldn't hae been the asian go to guy who spoke clues as Confucious or Charlie Chan or something equally fun.

12:36 PM  
Blogger Miss Vincci said...

That sucks Albert...but wow...that's great that you didn't blow up or anything. Next time I have a party...you can be the Asian man : )

4:51 PM  
Blogger V said...

Rats! You looked great in the costume!
V

2:07 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home