Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Life, Death, Age, Art
(just little topics like that)

A fellow San Francisco Opera supernumerary, the warm, witty and talented Katherine Brazaitis, passed away unexpectedly last week in an automobile accident in her hometown in Oklahoma. Our troupe of longtime supers is in a state of deep sadness and grief. Katherine was one of those people who was a joy to be around, and man, could she ROCK a costume-- she was tall, slim and elegant from head to toe. A very talented actress actually, even though acting was not her main profession.

She played this bit role of "Rich Lady" in San Francisco Ballet's latest production of "Nutcracker"-- I'm using this shot of her with her befeathered bonnet, surrounded by some plainer, (but perhaps more spiritually blessed) Super Nuns, because this role and costume captures Katherine's special qualities for me.

She will be greatly missed by all who knew her.

Meanwhile, I'm still alive and kicking on this Planet Earth. I'm pushing through ZEN rehearsals, trying to show up fully, trying to inhabit this character: Boss and Dad, who feels very alien to me. Trying to be with people way younger than me, trying to find some common ground.

We're heading into a more intense rehearsal period, as the actual shows are coming up just around the corner in July.

Part of me would love to quit and just stay home with my kitties and watch TV, because frankly, that'd be "easier" right now. But I would never actually do that. I've invested time, energy and heart into this creative project, and the director Nick and the rest of the cast have invested the same in themselves and in me, so I will not allow myself to quit out of fear...

It's just that cavorting around on the Opera House stage is SO MUCH EASIER!!!

Arrgh, I hate being so fucking neurotic.

Oh well, One Day/ One Rehearsal at a Time...

6 Comments:

Blogger Cynthia said...

I'm so sorry about your friend, and I'm very proud of you for not giving in to the fears. I'm doing quite a bit of work on that now as well.

10:18 PM  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

That's terrible. All strength and blessings to her family and you.

1:21 PM  
Blogger Writeprocrastinator said...

Jesus, not "blessings." I'm too tired to think of the appropriate word and I'm sorry. "Condolences" is what I meant.

1:24 PM  
Blogger Cindy said...

Sorry for the loss of your fellow super, that's sad. One day at a time is all you can do, right? How can anyone give more than that?

xo phinney

9:59 AM  
Blogger Nelle said...

I am just now reading this post..behind in blog reading. Sorry for your loss but I am reminded of this saying "Don't cry because it's over, smile because it happened." People live on in our memories of them. Glad to see you are still alive and kicking :)
OX

10:49 AM  
Blogger Judith HeartSong said...

I was so sorry to hear your news, and hope that things with rehersals have gotten easier now... you are in my thoughts. judi

4:02 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home