Thursday, January 22, 2009

A Renewed Sense of Patriotism

Wasn't Tuesday awesome? The new First Family is just too perfect; it worries me a little. I'm sure some flaw of Obama's will arise at some point. But for now, I'm savoring the first moments of his presidency. It was thrilling to say Buh-BYE! to Bush & Co after these past crappy eight years. And it was inspiring to see all the diversity at Tuesday's events. What a wonderful day for African-Americans and for all Americans. Plus, Aretha was great, Beyonce was great and Michele's "Lemongrass" outfit was great.

The only sour note at the Inauguration was that homophobe and Closet-Case Rick Warren. UGH!

I hope for a little balance in the coming days from the media-- because no one is perfect and there will also be situations beyond Obama's control... there are no magic fixes. That's my one pet peeve about all the coverage, reactions from celebrities, etc.


Last night I attended SF Ballet's opening season Gala. The last piece of the evening was an excerpt from George Balanchine's "Stars and Stripes," which is a witty and whimsical patriotic number with cavorting military men and ladies in bunting and pink and blue tutus, to the famous and well-known music of John Philip Sousa. Perfect for this week. Would that all military dudes could move with the same level of panache!

The accompanying picture is of Balanchine's own company, New York City Ballet, performing the piece.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

I wasn't digging Aretha's hat. Other than that, two thumbs up.

7:40 PM  
Blogger IndigoSunMoon said...

I gotta agree with Ann. Aretha's hat was just too much! LOL
Connie

9:31 PM  
Blogger AlbGlinka said...

Wow, I loved The Hat. A local columnist talked about The Hat and what it symbolized for all the Ladies who wear such hats-- who are now inside the fence rather than outside of it.

7:49 AM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Hola --

What can I say, I loved the hat too. It was an upbeat version of the church lady hat and I just love that whole thing.

Just FYI --
I have not forgotten, just been out of town and playing catch up. Your interview questions will be on their way to you...

7:40 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home