Sunday, February 22, 2009





















Thanks, and More Art...


First off, thanks to all of you for the sweet comments for the last post! Never has a 5 word post avec exclamation point elicited such a major response. You are all so kind, and NOSY! :-)

I'm not sure if I'm ready (or him either) for the public unveiling yet, but I'll keep ya posted. It's still very much a work-in-progress. One little detail: he's also a (very talented) painter. It's nice that we have that in common.

Onto my latest painting/critique disaster... So for our next assignment we had to do a mixed media painting that was about the genre of decoration, which is something happening a lot in contemporary art these days. I just went on my merry way with an idea that incorporated a decorative element but was not solely about that. So I got kind of dissed in the critique again, while some butt-ugly paintings that were indeed solely decorative got praised! Do I sound bitter?

This painting is not finished, because the collage elements in the painting took hella-long to put together.


It's called "Frozen Entree Face"

Some of the other students in the class liked it, but the instructor did not seem to be that into it. He critiques paintings based on whether or not the piece fulfills the assignment, rather than on the merits of the painting itself, and he also seems to have his favorites in the class, who I am referring to as his Acolytes.

The irony is: this instructor is incredibly knowledgable. I think I can learn a lot from him. I'm just not getting the little ego strokes that I so desire, which sucks.

Labels: , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Coy said...

OK ... to this instructor your painting did not satisfy as answers to a particular assignment, so what?

It's obvious by reading both of these entries that you do value his opinion but you've gotta question the effectiveness of an instructor that dismisses this kind of bold, imaginative expression because the student refuses to conform.

I love it ... but then of course I am a little bias.
*** Coy ***

10:08 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

If the instructor is more worried about the assignment than the actual work then I'd let the critique go in one ear and out the other. Pick up on the points you feel are of value and let the rest go.

For your ego strokes, keep posting for us here. We love your work!

11:05 AM  
Blogger Ann said...

Albert, I love, love, LOVE this piece! (wish I could afford it :/) Even John (boyfriend) who happened to glance over, commented that it was cool! Your instructor might be a bit of a D but at least you're learning. Besides, it's all in the eye of the beholder. As far as the new beau: Again, I am so happy for you! :D Looking forward to juicy details when you are ready to tell.

Happy Sunday!!!

11:20 AM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Everyone here said what I had on my mind. I love this picture.

9:27 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

oh dear darling Albg.. I think of the interview and though I know you reserved the right to not answer them, I would so love to hear any of them (and I bet so would your readers).

Though I know that time for LOVE comes first! Thinking of you and hope you had a good weekend.

8:52 PM  
Blogger Freaky Jewelry said...

Albglinka,
I like this painting very much! Your instructor is full of s**t !!!
- Rogue Doll

8:10 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Dear Albg --

Just letting you know I sent you a note via your regular e-mail re:your asking me if I still had the questions. I just didn't want it to get lost in your spamfile... I think I sent it a few days ago, from my gmail account. No hurry, just didn't want it to get lost.

xoxox

7:34 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home