Tuesday, February 03, 2009

Grrrr....

I'm smarting a bit over this painting critique this afternoon that didn't exactly go MY WAY. The culture/mix of personalities in this class with this new instructor is one that I'm having trouble adapting to. BUT: I'm not going to vent all over the internets about it.

Anyway, here are two paintings, and a photo of me as a very young art student (taken by myself in the mirror; I've always been a navel-gazer, of course! ) that served as the inspiration for them.
I like them. So There!





















At top, a three-session painting; below, a single session painting. The assignment was to do a single panel expressionist painting, meaning a painting that evokes a strong emotional response in the viewer. Truthfully, I just painted what I wanted to, and did not care too much if it answered the assignment or not. So I got burned somewhat in the critique for that.

Arrgh, I said I wasn't going to vent!!!!!!!!

Labels: ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Ann said...

Personally, I love both paintings. I'd be curious to see a portrait of Glinka.

7:11 AM  
Blogger IndigoSunMoon said...

I love them too Albert! But you know I'm a fan...and an owner of an Albert original!!!
Love you!
Connie

11:44 PM  
Blogger Sydney said...

FIRST OF ALL, I absolutely love the picture of you. It's fab-eau, and in Black and white, so fitting!

Second, I think it does evoke strong emotions. I don't know what they were criticizing as well, but I like where the exercise is going with these two paintings and I'd encourage you to continue to do a few more, or work on one that you find yourself pleased with. I would BUY that. Hello! Tell that to your class.

8:51 AM  
Blogger Sydney said...

Hi there -- Just popping on over to see how you are...

xxxoxo

9:19 PM  
Blogger Coy said...

Love them both and they seem to be evoking strong emotion here ... who says that this instructor is the right critiquer to the job? Is critiquer even a word?
*** Coy ***

I love the photo of young GroveAlbert

10:48 AM  
Blogger Coy said...

Love them both and they seem to be evoking strong emotion here ... who says that this instructor is the right critiquer to the job? Is critiquer even a word?
*** Coy ***

I love the photo of young GroveAlbert

10:48 AM  
Blogger sunflowerkat said...

I agree with everyone else Albert...they are both wonderful. The warm colors appeal to me a little more than the cool, but it's interesting how much the color choice affects the feel of the image. Don't worry about the instructor/classmates. They aren't coming from the same place as a true audience. Ultimately it's the artist and the audience that matters.

COCO

11:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home